Super Mom

Super Mom
Flying with MS
I hope you find some humor, information or a smile for your day. If you are reading this, you may have MS or know someone with MS. The main thing to remember is we are normal people who learn how to go about our daily lives in different and sometimes unique ways.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Flying with MS

I have been battling with fatigue and heat seems to be affecting me a little more than before. Of course, since I am getting older the heat sensitivity could also be “HOT FLASHES”. Fatigue is very hard to explain to your family. When people ask me what is wrong I will say, “I am tired”. This is not the type of tired that sleeping more or resting can get rid of. Yes, resting and sleeping will take the edge off but I am tired first thing in the morning when I wake up.


The great news is that I have found a few new stretches and pressure points to add to my repertoire of physical therapy exercises and I hope to see a change soon. I have also revisited the articles and books about diet and Multiple Sclerosis. I don’t like the information about the foods I need to limit and drop altogether. How can any human survive without dairy products? I think I even like milk better than my beloved Dr. Pepper, which may also be on the list of foods to avoid. I will let everyone know how the will-power holds during this next process of looking at a better approach to eating and surviving MS.


I have now checked off one item on my Bucket List. SKYDIVING!!!! Yes you read that right. I jumped, or was pushed out of a perfectly good airplane and loved every minute of it. Here on the ground I walk with a limp and sometimes walk a little from side to side. I have stopped playing basketball and I am sure not jogging or running a race any more. But for a few brief seconds I was flying in the air and rolling and swinging from side to side like everyone else who jumped out of the plane. No one saw the lady limping or the one using a cane they just saw a person with a huge grin on her face falling to earth and flying weightless for a few brief seconds. It was heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would do it again tomorrow. The things that were scaring me the most were the issues and limitations due to my legs while I was on the ground. Once I got past all of those issues and I was sitting on the side of the plane looking down I felt like a normal person. Too bad I can’t just fly around every day. I would even get a cape and maybe put “Super Mom” on it. I am sure that would completely embarrass my kids.

Keep on smiling and think about me when you get that falling feeling in your stomach.


Joy

No comments: