Super Mom

Super Mom
Flying with MS
I hope you find some humor, information or a smile for your day. If you are reading this, you may have MS or know someone with MS. The main thing to remember is we are normal people who learn how to go about our daily lives in different and sometimes unique ways.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My own stupidity amazes me......

The only term for what I did is, “Dumbass.”

I have been trying Yoga for several weeks. The yoga has been kicking my backside but I think in the long run it will really help my MS. I have fallen a few times and pulled a few muscles and defenently made my hip sore. I have spent the last week lying on a heating pad at night to help the stiffness. Progress and recovery seemed to be happening slowly but I saw improvement.

Last night, I did the same thing I always have done while getting ready for bed but, evidently I did something very wrong. I woke up at about 3:32 am and felt like I had be lying on a cord or something and had a raised whelp on my hip. I rubbed it and rolled the other way to go back to sleep. I rubbed it again and it was wet. The thought that maybe I really was getting old, wetting the bed entered my mind. Only my hand was wet.

I stumbled into the rest room and looked in the mirror and could not believe what I saw. A burn as big as my palm and fingers was on my skin along with several large blisters. Here is when that whole dizzy state started again. Lying down on the bathroom floor, I asked my husband to come help me. He thought that maybe I had an allergic reaction but it was only my own stupidity that had given me a burn.

A doctor’s visit, three prescriptions, a visit to the pharmacy and a ten year tetanus shot later and now lots of people know that I am STUPID. The nurse kept trying to tell me that people do things like this all the time but it did not help as she is wrapping my burn, pulling skin and telling me how to make sure this does not get infected.

I have definitely learned that I have lost some feeling in that leg and need to be more careful. I am blessed that I did not do more damage. How major burn victims endure their injuries is not in my realm of understanding. This one small hand-size mild burn hurts and is uncomfortable so lots of prayers are sent out for all those in the world who are dealing with this type of pain. My burn will be gone in a short amount of time with no lasting scars except for my ego.

Just remember when you think you have done something silly or stupid, there is ALWAYS someone else out there who is out scoring you on the “dumb-o-meter.”

Joy

3 comments:

Janine said...

From a fellow MS person...
Friend, I read your profile and see that you must have a full plate, even without the added layer of MS. Managing this disease could be a full-time job. Trying to be a person, a mom, a wife, and a member of the planet should be enough. Then, we have to figure out a way to also have this complex illness.
I encourage you to be kind to yourself. MS has made me feel stupid or dumb more than I can count. But, I am trying to learn that I am doing the best that I can. Give yourself the gift of grace and take pride in all you accomplish. Don't let the MonSter define who you are. I hope you are recovered soon. Take the best care you can. This battle isn't an easy one. Janine

Anonymous said...

I see by your profile you've had this blog for a year. Happy Anniversary!
My husband was diagnosed in April 1981 and is currently on SS disability.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Yes that could happen to me, not the same. Very entertaining and a good blog.
kim